How do you get started with paving?
Once you have decided on paving your driveway, you have a number of materials to choose from. One of the most popular residential driveway paving material is asphalt. Asphalt is a mixture of sand and stone and a slurry of asphalt, which is a tar-like substance originating from petroleum. Residential asphalt paving offers a range of benefits to homeowners. They are listed below.
Asphalt Paving Benefits:
- Asphalt driveways can cost $2 to $5 per square foot installed. This makes them a rather cost-effective option. Making it possible for even those on a tight budget to include driveway paving into their plans for their homes.
- Because asphalt is a petroleum-based product. It is a more flexible material compared to other paving materials such as concrete. This means it is less likely to crack than concrete over time.
- Considering the frequent use the driveway is in, durability is a key feature. A properly installed and maintained asphalt driveway can last for anywhere between 12 to 20 years.
- While maintenance is required, it is not required too often and most solutions are easily available in the market and quite affordable.
- An asphalt driveway installation usually doesn’t take longer than a day or two depending on the size of the driveway. Additionally, it is mostly ready for use immediately after installation as opposed to concrete. This can take up to a week before it can be used.
All these advantages combined, make asphalt driveways an attractive option for homeowners. One common misconception people have and view as a disadvantage of asphalt is the belief that it comes only in its original black color. This, they believe, makes for a boring look for their home and oftentimes clashes with the facade of their house.
However, do some research you will see that asphalt can be found in a range of options. You can now choose decorative asphalt, which allows you to create colored or stamped asphalt driveways. Asphalt is now available in a range of colors, from soft to bold ones. Additionally, it can also be stamped with steel to mimic the look of other materials such as pavers or concrete.
How to make residential paving last?
If your concern is how to make your asphalt paving last for as long as possible, then one important thing you will need to do is seal coat your paving periodically. This process involves applying a liquid product to your pavement to seal the surface and fill any cracks and gaps to ensure protection against weather conditions. If asphalt is not periodically sealed, it can crack over the years due to exposure to the sun, wind, and water. There are a number of benefits of seal coating. They are as given below.
- It is a cost-effective means of maintaining the asphalt of your driveway and prolonging its life.
- This fills in the gaps and cracks of the paving, thus helping create a uniform coating, enhancing the look of the driveway.
- It prevents chemicals, salt, and moisture from entering the asphalt, thereby ensuring the integrity of its form.
How does the seal coating differ?
While the seal coating is easy and can be seen as a DIY task. Hiring residential seal coating professionals to do it is the better option. With the knowledge and expertise, they will know exactly what type of product to use and the proper means of applying it effectively. They will also manage to do it in a quick time. Getting in the professionals to do the job is another way of prolonging the life of your asphalt paving.
Final thoughts on residential paving
Residential asphalt paving is considered one of the most popular options for homeowners primarily for its durability, affordability and easy maintenance. A properly installed asphalt pavement can last close to 20 years. This is why it is important to do considerable research before hiring professionals for the job.
Similarly, following up the installation with periodic maintenance in the form of seal coating helps protect the asphalt paving’s structural integrity, prolong its life and add to its aesthetic appeal. So if you are considering what to do with your driveway, it is simple: call the right residential asphalt paving professionals and get yourself a reliable and easy-to-maintain driveway today.